NTMN on email!
By Dec 4, 2012 • The News Pages

23 March 2061:
Living legend, Master Blaster, Little Genius a.k.a. Sachin Tendulkar completed his 187th ODI ton yesterday, on a wheelchair. It was a special ton. Yet again. After ICC made some provisional changes in the game’s laws to allow Tendulkar to play on a wheelchair owing to his age a couple of months ago, the Indian opener looked in ominous form against a hapless Australian attack. Even to the uninitiated, it was obvious that Tendulkar was enjoying his favourite meal, Kangaroos. Again!

Mickey Ponting, son of former Australian legend, Ricky Ponting, led the team on to the pitch against a struggling Indian side, but inspired by the sensational Tendulkar, India posted a fighting total of 210/1 in 50 overs. Ponting was later heard whimpering, “This is madness!” ESPN commentator Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who had said in his pitch report that the wicket would turn viciously, and Sachin would face difficulty in negotiating it owing to his ageing legs, was left to rue his words.

This century will give Tendulkar’s career a boost, as he had been struggling for form and fitness of late, amidst continued criticism from media. He went to London a year ago for his knee operation, heart surgery, tennis elbows, and badminton forearms, following which he was declared fit a month ago. Yesterday, 23rd March 2061, has now been etched in the history of cricket when he sprinted like a Cheetah with his automatic wheelchair for that single and completed his century. In the post-match ceremony, he dedicated his hundred to his father. This is now the hundredth hundred that he has dedicated to his father, a record in itself. Anyone close to it is his son, with 51 tons. Seems like it is one dedicated family.

Sachin quashed all rumours about his retirement by saying that no one other than he knows better on when to retire. On being asked how he felt after scoring that century, he said, “It’s only because of my determination, concentration and wheel-power that I made my dream come true. I feel very satisfied now by contributing a little for my country.” India may have come a long way since the days the entire line-up would crumble once Sachin went back to the pavilion, but it has been reaffirmed time and again, that they still need him to pull the team up when it matters the most.

After yesterday’s performance some experts have said that there is still some cricket left in him. Meanwhile, Ravi Shastri, who is still around by the way, congratulated him for this achievement. On being asked why he always says that it’s a “Do or die situation for him” whenever Sachin comes to bat, he left the scene abruptly. In related news, sources report that the “Bowlers’ Association of the World”, led by the cricketer-turned-wrestler Shoaib Akhtar, is planning to sue Tendulkar for ruining the careers of hundreds of bowlers in his career spanning more than 70 years!

(edited by Kumar Pratik)

Related: IPL in 2084 | Sachin to play World Cup 2031

1 Comment on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

What Do You Think of This Post? Please Comment...